Communion Alfresco

I had the pleasure of hosting a group of pastors at Coeur de Terre Winery today. What a privilege it is to be able to invite a group of people to stop by a vineyard to enjoy some wonderful hospitality. In this case the pastors were from my cluster of the ELCA Oregon Synod. In the photo above we are celebrating communion out in the vineyard (which is where I think all communion services should be held now!)
Matthew Egan (in the photo to the right) led the communion service. He shared the story of Great Harvest Bread Company in town and how it replaced a pay day loan company. He shared where the wheat was grown and how it was milled. I shared a bit about the wine. It was Coeur de Terre's Oregon Pinot Noir. Before we started communion I read from John 15 where Jesus says, "I am the vine, and you are the branches." I'm convinced that he was standing in a vineyard when he said those words. As I read on the words "every branch in me that bears no fruit is cut off." Just a few feet from where we were worshiping the crew was pruning off some of the new buds from the vines. It was really a nice picture representation of the text.




I also got to share a bit about my sabbatical and what it was like to work harvest at a vineyard. It reminded me again how fortunate I was to have the opportunity to do so.



Today is also my colleague Courtney's birthday. She was able to come up and join us for the worship and fellowship. It was a great day. I really love to share about wine making and the Gospels. It charges me up. It was also a chance to do some sharing, and to thank Courtney for making it possible for me to get away last summer. I also had a chance to reconnect with the owners of Coeur de Terre, Scott and Lisa. I suppose days get better than this, I'm just now sure how that might be--mostly sunny mid-70's temperatures, a glorious view out every window and sharing wonderful wines with friends and colleagues. Yes, that is a wonderful day. And if you'd like me to share with your group, or if you'd like to head up to Coeur de Terre for a visit, just let me know. There are few things I enjoy more.