Two New Additions At Wednesday Wines

I'm minding the shop which is a really dangerous situation. I can't believe my partners have left me alone in a wine shop with no one to supervise me. So . . . I've just opened a great new wine (new to us, it's been around for a while.) It's Siman Hackett Old Vine Granache. I've ususally tasted Grenache in a red blend. This unique wine from Australia is wonderful. The first aromas are of ripe plumbs and rich dark fruit. There is an earthy background with currents and black pepper. The taste is beautifully balanced and surprisingly long lived for a $15 bottle of wine. I bought a case after the first tasting.

Andrea of Abbie and Oliver's also has a brand new cheese that is amazing. It's called Cynthian from Fairview Farms in Dallas, Oregon. It's a raw goat's milk cheese with local herbs infused into the cheese. I haven't seen this creamery before, and I love their product. They are also the first goat dairy in Oregon with the "Animal Welfare Approved" certification for the humane treatment of goats. The cheese is a fairly hard white cheese with a sweet herby finish. It pairs up great with the Old Vine Grenache.

My friend, Tim Christensen said that I had to start reviewing more wines on my blog, so here you go. We have a few perenial favorites at the shop. Here are a few for you to try:

Cycles Gladiator '07 Central Coast Syrah--Beautiful, fruit forward, well balanced red wine at $9!

Canyon's Edge Winery Horse Heaven Hills Sagebrush Red--the best value you'll see from the now famous Horse Heaven Hills. At $10 a great mid week red wine.

Pascual Toso '07 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Mendoza, Argentina. We can not keep this wine in the shop. $12 a bottle, well balanced, beautiful fruit. If it was made in California the price would have to move over one spot to the three figure range.
Concannon '06 Central Coast Petite Sirah. I felt as though I'd passed my "Wines of the World" class final when my professor, Bob Sogge came into the shop and said this was one of his favorite wines. We love the big bold taste of this wine, and with a $14 price tage enjoy it on the weekends.

And for whites:

Montinore Estate '07 Almost Dry Riesling--I don't know how these guys are making an estate grown, organic Riesling for only $10, but I'm glad they do. Very nice fruit forward flavor. It has a very nice touch of sweet fruit and is perfect for a hot summer evening.
Sol et Soleil '07 Pinot Gris--Very small production of a wine made in McMinnville. Nice mineral notes and dry fruit. $16 and worth it.

Maysara '08 Roseena Pinot Noir Rose. Maysara recently won an international award for this wine. Dry and crisp with beautiful structure. $16 and buy it quickly, it will be gone soon (at least this one will!)

There, a list of wines for you to check out. If you can come by the shop it's easy, if you live somewhere else, the California wines are going to be easy to find, the others you may have to look for, or request from your favorite wine merchant.