She's Up

Our house is seven feet in the air. It's freaky to be inside right now. This afternoon the foundation demolition guy was knocking around the supports pretty hard and the house was shaking back and forth like it was in an earthquake. I've been keeping some strange hours so that I can get work done when the contractors aren't under the house. Today I got some of the downstairs plumbing reconnected (despite what Jeff Peterson says indoor plumbing is wonderful to have.) Tonight I completed reconnecting all of the electrical circuits for the front of the house. I had to take them all down because they ran along the joists that had to be replaced. We now have some very nice features back again, like a front door light, plugs that work in our living room, and last, but certainly not least, heat. We also got temporary steps this morning, which makes getting into the house a LOT easier.
We really should have lifted the house a week later, so that it could have been raised up for Easter weekend. Having it lifted up for Palm Sunday was nice, but it just didn't have the same symbolic touch that Easter would have had.
House movers like their work. I've been talking to several of the guys who work for Steve Hoskins and they love coming to work every day. It's very exciting to lift up a house, I can see the attraction. I don't' think I'd like the work, though, it's tough, heavy lifting all day long. I'll keep posting what is happening with the house. The old foundation is about 3/4 gone. Tomorrow they'll probably finish up and start in on the basement floor. I'm done with the electrical for a while and now get to start working on the bathrooms! We'll gut the downstairs one first, get it working and then gut the upstairs one and rebuild it. My brother Dave actually likes plumbing, but I just can't seem to get him to show up when I need some of it done. Maybe he just says he likes it. I like to have it, but I don't like to really work on it. It took me all morning to reroute the kitchen sink this morning, but I did get it done.
It's 3:30 am, so I'm off to bed.