Set In Concrete

Good news, the sink hole is filled with concrete. Yes, we had a sink hole in the back of the house right next to the sewer line. Some people think it was caused by a leak in the sewer line, some folks think it was the old drain field for the septic system. Someone else thought it might have been an old hand-dug well for fresh water. Whatever it was, it was long. A 30 foot tape measure was able to go all the way in and not hit anything. Luckily it didn't go deep, and we were able to pump about a yard and a half of concrete in before it settled at the level of the footing.

The guys were here pouring at 7:00 AM. They have a pumper for the concrete and they can move the hose anywhere in the house. First they filled the footings all the way around the house and now they are filling the walls. As they fill the forms they bang on them with hammers to release air pockets. Alexis my helper for the day says that they also sing and make a lot of noise. I just call it progress.

They have put four trucks of concrete into our foundation so far with each truck holding about 40 yards. (Don't believe everything you read in Google, Carson was just here and he told me each truck holds 10-11 yards of concrete, and the truck driver confirmed that number.) I don't think they are anywhere close to half way done. This house should be here for a while.

Back to Alexis. It is take your daughter to work day and Alexis had to put up with me. Her dad, Mike, works for Loomis, and carries a gun to work. They are on heightened security right now, and having a teenager with all that money just didn't seem to go over. Alexis' mom works in our wine shop so . . . she's learning what a pastor does. Not much apparently. We were talking about 4/20 day. I had no idea. We did some research about why pot smoking is referred to as 4/20 and now we're more confused than ever. I don't think this is what Alexis' mom had in mind when she set this up. I guess the answer has something to do with the Grateful Dead, but I don't know what.
To the left is an actual picture of the sink hole covered in concrete. The blue pipe is the sewer main which runs through my footing, under my house, under my neighbor's house, and under his neighbors house and out to Evans Street. Someday it will run out to First Street, and I've already laid out my extra sewer line so my connection will be easy. So as soon as the city has the main ready, say 2025 or so, I'll be right there, or rather right here. I'll post again when I know the actual time of the house coming back down to the foundation. Should be late next week (around May 1st)