Coming out of the closet

Our church is currently going though a process of discovery and discussion around the issues of sexuality. Specifically we are looking at becoming what is called a "Reconciled In Christ" congregation which is explicit in it's welcome of those who are gay, lesibian, bisexual and trans-gendered. It has been an amazing process. I'm proud of my church for courageously taking on this sometimes difficult and emotional issue. My friend, Pastor Steve and I attended a training event on this process last spring, and one quote has really stayed with me from that event. One of the speakers was sharing how difficult it was to come out to their family about their sexuality and then said that no matter how hard it is to do, or how hard it is to be received, every coming out is an act of love. Let me say that again, "Every coming out is an act of love." Whenever we share who we really are with another person, whenever we make ourselves vulnerable by sharing our deepest selves with others, that is an act of love.

Last night we were sitting around the table in our wine shop (Wedensday Wines in downtown McMinnville, Oregon.) Two beautiful, young women came into the shop and sat down to enjoy a glass of wine. Eventually they came ove to our table and we all started to talk. They are both medical professionals who are sent all over the US to fill in where their skills are needed. After a couple of glasses of wine and a deeper and deeper discussion the horrible question arose, "And, what do you do?" Let me just say, I do not like to tell people I'm an ordained minister. It sucks. Either it kills all conversation, or people feel convicted to share with you some absoutely terrible theology. But I came out to them anyway.

It turned out wonderfully. These two young women were fascinated that as an ordained minister I am part owner of a wine shop, and that I teach a Bible study called "The theology of wine." One of the young women said she wishes her conservative Baptist parents could take that class. (I've never taught a Bible study that filled up as quickly as this one does, and is so popular. I'm preparing to start me third one this January.) What a great night of conversation we had over some very nice wines. I'm always surprised by how joyful people can be to meet people of faith who are progressive, open, and non-judgemental.