Bud Break 2015

Bud break is such a miracle to me.  You walk out into a field of what last week looked like a bunch of dead sticks and there is a riot of new life breaking out on the vines--so much energy released so quickly.
Where does all that energy come from?  Funny you should ask.  The roots!  On this adventure we were at Roots Wine Company.   (Check out their web site, it is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.)  I had the pleasure of sitting next to Chris and Hilary Berg at a recent dinner.  What a pleasure (for me at least) to be tasting wines with someone who actually makes them.  
When I met Chris they were just getting ready to open their tasting room.  It is amazing to me the time, effort and money involved in starting a winery.  I wondered if Chris might be there for our visit, but alas, he is off shlepping his wine!  Winter is a never ending season of travel to foreign states to try and convince a distributor that your wine is worth representing.  Making wine is a lot pressing the flesh and pouring free product for those you hope to buy it.  
I love the Roots name and logo.  Wine roots go down deep.  Some say they can reach depths of 30 feet or more.  These "Roots" roots are working their way down into the red Dundee Hills soil in which they have been planted.  
In addition to Pinot Noir grown on his own estate, Chris is creating several other wines from selected wineries in the area.  It is a beautiful location and with the improving weather this weekend might be the perfect time to head out and take a look at the new life in the vineyards.