Wine in the Wilderness


I've just returned from a quick trip to Montana.  I attended the Montana Synod Pastor's Gathering at Chico Hot Springs.  While there we did a Theology of Wine reception.  One of the speakers at the event was Marty Haugen.  Dan Erlander was also in attendance.  It was a great event and fun to reconnect with some of the folks I served with when I was a pastor in Montana.  
When the conference was finished a spent a few days in a cabin near Pray, Montana.  What a great place to do a spiritual retreat!  The photo above was taken on the road from the cabin back to Livingston.
The photo above is the view I had right outside my little cabin.  The night after I took this photo it snowed and the entire mountain was covered with white when I awoke.  
I took a day trip out to Pine Creek and did some hiking around in the snow and mud.  After that I was ready for some food so I headed into Livingston.  I was surprised by what I found.  Livingston is known as a railroad town.  I have a good friend who grew up there and I've heard many stories about how rough the town was.  But I found a wine shop, and it had an excellent selection of wines (especially Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs!)
That's a photo of the shop.  It's in the old railway terminal building.  Right across the street is a funky restaurant called Gils Foods.  I almost missed the place because the sign out front looks a lot like the sign for The Blue Moon Tavern in my home town.  And I just don't associate signs like that with good food.  
 But then my eye went down and I saw the line about a wood fired oven.  Then I made a bee line for the place.  I ordered a sandwich made from some of their home made bread.  It was wonderful.  They also feature wines including "Writer's Block" Syrah which I love.  Later in the week on my way home I had lunch with a good friend and found out that his significant other works at this place.
 I've always loved Chico Hot Springs (that's a photo above provided by my godson, John Christensen).  It is so healing to sit in hot water and talk with good friends.  I'm glad that good food and good wine are finding their way to this part of Montana.  Lord knows I'm out there doing my part!