All Saints Tour of the Northern Willamette

There are several popular times to visit the Willamette Valley for wine tasting.  Memorial Day and Labor Day have become popular.  Thanksgiving weekend is usually packed all around the valley.  But for sheer beauty I would suggest an All Saints weekend visit.  Tahmiene Momtazi, the winemaker at Maysara Winery once told me that Halloween is her favorite day of the year.  Part of the reason for her fondness may be that Halloween usually means that harvest is complete for the year.  Part may be that she is finally able to celebrate her birthday (happy late birthday, Tahmiene!)  But, at least part of the reason has to be the beauty of the vineyards this time of year.
I was driving to Dallas yesterday to visit my brother and I was reminded again how beautiful the drive is from McMinnville to his home town.  The cloud formations are gorgeous, and I love the way the bright sun pops out and lights up the landscape.  The photo at the top of the page was taken at Left Coast Cellars. The photo to the left was taken at Firesteed Winery just across the highway.  As I walked up and down the highway trying to get just the right shot, I noticed a murmation of starlings (I had to look up what a flock of starlings is called) swooping over the vineyard.  It was just two years ago that the harvest was so delayed that it almost perfectly matched up with the arrival of millions of birds to the valley who almost destroyed the grape harvest.  They were a pest with last year's harvest as well, but not much in evidence this year.  
 I don't like starlings, but there was something beautiful about the way they dove, and turned and swooped down into the vineyard.  I don't mind them nearly as much when the harvest is complete and they show up as gleaners to clean up the vineyard.  
If you don't have anything to do this weekend, pop down to our neighborhood for a wine tour.  The weather is suppose to be partly sunny on Friday and Saturday (which is about as good as you'll get this time of year!)  Bring a raincoat and be prepared to dodge a few raindrops.  You'll be rewarded with some of the best views of the year.  The harvest is in, the vines are beginning to change colors, and the sky is filled with beautiful cloud formations.  I'm with Tahmeine about this time of year.  I'm not quite so enamored of the holiday of All Hallows Eve (Halloween is a contraction of All Hallows which is All Saints Day to us church people.)  I love that before we can celebrate the saints who have gone before us we have to raise a little bit of ruckus and have some fun.  If you really want to enjoy this weekend come on down for a visit.  The valley is really showing off it's best side right now.