Rethinking Creation

God's purpose statement for humanity is given to us in Genesis nine:


"You're here to bear fruit, reproduce, lavish life on the earth and live bountifully."
(from the Message)





This is in essence God's reason for creating human beings. For years I've interpreted it as having children. Some Evangelical Christians might interpret this to mean we are to convert more people to our faith and our way of life. Lately I've been struck by another possibility. We have been put here to do what God does, to create, to make beauty, to unleash creative potential and express the human condition. As I get older I'm more and more convinced that one of the most important things in life is art. My son, Paul, is studying art at the University of Oregon, and that fills me with joy. He is an amazingly creative person, and to see him find new and powerful ways to reveal that creativity is wonderful.


I met another very creative young man recently. We were at the coast for my wife's 50th birthday. One of the things Robin wanted to do that weekend was to blow a glass float. There is a little place at the very southern edge of Lincoln City called the Lincoln City Glass Center. The owner, Jennifer L. Sears has an amazing set up of furnaces where they will assist you in creating your own piece of glass. Robin and I got to work with a young man named Andrew. As we were getting to know one another Andrew asked me what I did, and I confessed to him that I was a minister. "What type?" he asked. I again had to confess that I am a Lutheran Minister. "Oh" he responded "I use to be Lutheran." He saw the light apparently. Andrew grew up in Idaho and at some point became enamored of glass blowing. I can see why. It is so amazing to watch something being created from liquid glass carefully structured as it begins to harden and take form. Andrew studied at the Pilchuck Glass School which was created by the famous glass artist, Dale Chihuly. Andrew washed dishes, cleaned bathrooms and anything else he could do to take as many classes as he possibly could. He shared that he and his friend held the record for most consecutive classes taken at the school. Andrew looks like an artist to me, with long blond dreadlocks, scruffy beard and soft, careful speech. Andrew was a very patient teacher. I was amazed at how difficult it was to do, how even the simplest instructions were difficult to follow when you are standing inches away from molten sand.
Friends David and Delia Hammond also joined us for the experience. They were working with Jennifer (pictured at right). Some of Jennifer's art is displayed across the street at their gallery. It is worth stopping in to take a look. There is something so amazing to me about such beauty that is so fragile. Glass is an amazing substance, extremely strong in some ways, so fragile and breakable in others. Sort of like human life. Each life is a miracle, a precious piece of art. So I want to offer a father's benediction to Andrew. You are doing a precious and beautiful thing. Keep on creating, it is holy work. You are a wonderful teacher, thank you for your patience and for the beautiful glass floats that now are displayed in our home.